My Big Cities

My Big Cities

Sunday, August 29, 2010

A little bit of Lebanon...

The infamous "they" say Beirut is the Paris of the Middle East.  My aunt, who visited this beautiful land of European and Arabic influence, reminded me of the ominous presence of elegance and charm.  Hotels fit for queens, centuries of architecture that North American cities sought after, but could never have. 


The stories, the photos and the vivid memories both my aunt and my boyfriend had shared, were attempts to creating a certain expectation in my mind. As I stepped off the plane on Wednesday night, I was excited to take it all in, one tabuleh or fattoush salad at a time ;)


The airport is nothing different than any other major city, with line ups to go through customs and porters waiting to take your bags.


Difference # 1 - You can actually buy liquor and cigarettes from the duty free store on your way out of the airport.
Difference # 2 - It is not ethnically diverse - aka "No, I am not Lebanese. I know it's obvious". As I waited in the arrival area, I was approached by several drivers with signs in their hands, clearly with names of English people. 


The downtown core of Beirut is lit up like any city boasting their vibrant nightlife. Amongst it all, is a new mosque, which I was later told I wouldn't be able to go inside of because they only have a small room for women. Clearly this is not meant to be a tourist attraction. 


In my first 4 nights, I've already had a chance to experience the "scene." Included in the outings I have hit up "Skybar," a venue that hosts DJs from all over the world, "Virgin Cafe," a Richard Branson creation, and "Capitol," another rooftop, open air resto/lounge (where we also met 3 hilarious guys; 2 of whom work at the US Embassy in Beirut).




Difference # 3 - You use valet EVERYWHERE; it costs next to nothing.
Difference # 4 - The young people go out frequently, and dressing down is not an option. Women are decked out in the latest fashions, with some of the best shoes I've seen in awhile, everywhere. 


As in many Mediterranean places, beaches are not really public. There are beach "clubs" along the coast that have spectacular pools, drink service at your beach chair, and Euro beats playing throughout the day. The sun is hot, the people are tanned, and sunscreen seems to only be used by the tourists. Did I mention that rose is also popular wine of choice at beaches here?


I still have to experience Beirut by day, but the lounges, bars and beach clubs do well for me. This is the type of daily life that I can manage to deal with. 


Oh ya, and as a sidenote, McDonalds and Burger King do delivery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers